In order to legally let your property, you need a number of certificates to show that the property is safe and to ensure that both you and your tenants are protected. The key certificates you need are:

  • Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR)
  • Gas Safety Record (GSR)
  • Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) with a rating of E or above
  • HETAS Certificate, if the property has a wood-burning stove or working fireplace that will be in use during the tenancy

Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR)

An EICR – also known as a Periodic Inspection Check – must be carried out to ensure all the wiring, sockets and switches are safe, and a valid report that states the electrical system in the property is satisfactory must be in place at the start of the tenancy. An EICR is valid for five years.

An electrician will be able to complete this for you – you can arrange this yourself or we would be happy to arrange this for you. Simply contact your local office to discuss a price and the next steps.

Gas Safety Record (GSR)

You need a Gas Safety Record (GSR) in place at the start of the tenancy and it must be renewed every year.

We can arrange for a Gas Safe-registered engineer to carry out the inspection for you and also a boiler service if required at the same time. Simply contact our office to discuss a price and the next steps. You are of course welcome to instruct an engineer yourself.

Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) with a rating of E or above

An EPC tells you how energy-efficient a property is, on a scale from A (very efficient) to G (inefficient). Your property needs a rating of E or above in order for you to let it or renew an existing tenancy. If it does not meet this condition, it is your responsibility as the landlord to make the required improvements. There will be recommendations on the EPC report on how to improve efficiency.

A qualified energy assessor must issue the certificate – we can arrange this for you if necessary, or you can find an accredited assessor using the government website.

HETAS Certificate

If the property has a working fireplace or woodburning stove (or similar heating appliance that has a chimney and uses solid fuel), and you plan on allowing tenants to use it, you will need a HETAS certificate.

You will also need to have the chimney swept annually and to have a carbon monoxide alarm fitted. We can assist you with getting a HETAS certificate or you can arrange it yourself.